But dance and movement are not only good for the body – there is plenty of scientific evidence showing their benefits for our mental health and wellbeing.
Since ancient times, humanity has used movement not only to celebrate, express themselves or tell stories but also to manage stress and cope with hard times. Our guest, Nina Papadopoulos, is a senior Dance Movement Psychotherapist, Psychologist and Clinical Supervisor working in both the NHS and in private practice. She works with refugees and others who are recovering from trauma and is involved nationally and internationally in the education and training of Psychotherapists.
In this workshop Nina will:
- introduce us to the benefits of Dance Movement Psychotherapy(DMP);
- teach us some of the techniques used in DMP and give us a taste of what DMP sessions are like;
- guide us through the process of exploring emotions through the moving body;
- offer us an opportunity to embody images and themes that are significant in our lives, expressing our inner resilient self;
- open a safe space for improvisation and reflection.
*We will dance! Please wear comfortable clothing so that you can move easily
This free session will take place online, so make sure you have a laptop, phone or tablet with a good internet connection.