Each slot is for up to six people. Please make sure your group bring your own smartphones and headphones. Please note, due to the recent iOS upgrade, any iPhone users running iOS 14 will unfortunately not be able to take part. If this applies to you, please look out for an announcement of future dates once the issue has been resolved. (To find out which version of iOS 14 you are running please see the notes below **)
Join Tamasha artist Afsana Begum and her collaborators from community theatre company Rightful Place, all Brick Lane locals, as they guide you on an adventure around the place they call home. Beyond the curry house strip and trendy bar culture, this place has history. Come and discover the real Brick Lane – from Bengali laskars to Satanic wedding guests, local wrestlers to the street’s most successful family – these people have cast their shadows onto these pavements and invite you to see Brick Lane as you’ve never seen it before.
We Are Shadows: Brick Lane is an immersive smart phone adventure on foot by Coney & Tamasha, inspired by where we live: E1 in Tower Hamlets.
Participants’ adventure will begin with a phone call on their mobile phones from which they will be navigated through and around Brick Lane, taking them on a magical-realist journey where shadows are revealed around every corner.
But, safety first
We want to make sure our adventurers are safe whilst taking in the shadows of Brick Lane, so here are a few things we’re putting in place:
- The game can be played individually, but is best played in pairs. We recommend you bring along someone who’s in your ‘bubble’. You can bring along a ‘non-bubble’ pal, but keep a two-metre distance between you where possible – safety first, kids!
- It’s really important that you keep that two-metre distance from people who aren’t in your bubble or group when checking in and taking off on your adventure.
- We will stagger your ‘start times’, ensuring no more than 6 adventurers will be in the same place at the same time.
With game design by BAFTA award-winning Coney and written by Tamasha’s Artistic Director Fin Kennedy (How To Disappear Completely And Never Be Found) and playwright Rabiah Hussain (Spun), and directed by Sita Thomas (Top Girls), your adventure will last around an hour.
Ready to head out on your adventure? Great! But before you do, there are just a few things you need to know first…
We Are Shadows is open and available to everyone. If you have access requirements please get in touch with email@example.com to discuss alternative models of the game.
Age limit: 12+
Image © Bettina Adela
**How to Check which iOS your iPhone is running on:
1. Go to your iPhone’s “Settings”
2. Go to “About”
3. Check the the “Software Version”. If it is any version of 13 or below you will be ok to play. If it is 14 or above please refer back to the three options above.